Monday, January 19, 2015

Fellas Just Get You a Shaniqua or a Jazmine, Either One is a Win: Light Skin vs. Dark Skin

I am so fed the F up with men saying they do not want to date dark skin girls because they beg too much, or they only want light skin girls because they are trophies.

Is you stoopid?

So let's set the record straight right now! There is a difference between dark skin women and light skin women, but it is the same difference between all women (OUR DAMN UPBRINGING JACKASS!)

Think about it logically. Most light skin girls are bi-racial, hints why their skin complexion is lighter. What does that mean? It means that our economical, cultural, and moral development is altered. And no that doesn't mean we are guaranteed to be privileged.

My mother is white and my father is black, which greatly changed my economic situation. Contrary to popular belief, my white mother did not come from money. But yes, my black daddy did come from the projects. Because my mother was disowned for dating my father they had no choice but to step up and take care of each other. Because they came from nothing, experienced intense racism, and had to fight to be together they insured that their children would not go through the same thing. Throughout my childhood both my mother and my father took turns working two jobs at a time so we wouldn't have to struggle. At one point my father had three jobs and my mother had two. As a result, I grew up to be hardworking and financially responsible. Watching my parent's experience taught me not to look for a handout because there will be no one there to hand it to you.

As a result, no I don't depend on a man, no I don't beg, and no I won't ask a man for anything.

My parent's intense drive also awarded me other luxuries. I learned to be loyal. My parents never had anyone to lean on, all they had was each other. Therefore, they forced my sister and I only to rely on each other. For that the four of us are indebted to each other. We are loyal to each other, and the select few we allow in our circle.

The mixture of my parents features blessed me with beautify. A very exotic beauty at that. But because my parents have substance and sense, they raised me to rely on my mind, rather than my body. For that reason I was highly encouraged to pursue my education, which I did. So yes, I can articulate myself better than other females. But it is not because light skins don't like to trip or argue. It's because I was afforded the luxury to receive training on how to speak my mind in a rational manner. Which also makes me more self-confident. I won't question you, I won't stalk you, and I won't chase you. It's not because light skins are more controllable, it's because I have more to offer and I can find someone else.

I was also exposed to difference. Different cities, people, opinions, lifestyles. My parents taught my sister and I not to judge; to accept people the way they wanted to be accepted. So yes, you have to work harder to impress me. It is not because I am stuck up, it's because I have been outside of my city, state, and country. I came from something and will never settle for nothing.

Because of racial discrimination, classism, sexism, and the fucked up society we live in, black girls don't always get this same experience. They don't come from the same background, they weren't raised the same, their parents may not have the same at stake. But they, themselves as women with dark skin have more to lose. Some dark skin women don't have the luxury to just live, they have to survive.

But don't you ever think that gives you the right to turn us against each other.

These stereotypes are not truth. They should not be a reflection of a race. And they damn sure shouldn't be a division between women.

My cousin is a black girl. She is accomplished, brilliant, confident, and flawlessly beautiful. Our upbringing was different, but our current goals, demeanor, and character are the same. I assure you she will never beg a man for anything. She's a nurse, a student, a mother, and an independent woman. She wants for nothing, because she awards herself with everything. She can have an intellectual conversation with you or she can beat your ass! And it's not because she's black and ghetto. It's because she has an amazing father who taught her how to handle herself (yes, the black girl has a daddy). It's because she has a mother who served as a role model for how a woman should take care her business. It's because she knows she deserves the best and won't settle for anything less than perfection, because that's what she is.

I know some mixed girls that have zero self confidence, and will sell their body to buy a fake Michael Kors bag. I know black girls who are pursuing their law degree and have never stepped foot in the hood a day in their life. The point is you should get to know the woman's background, before you judge her by her skin tone.

OK!

Now cut the shit with this light skin vs. dark skin and get on this Shaniqua or Jazmine because either one is a win!

1 comment:

  1. This posting was very cool and presented an outlook that was diverse and more personal than most reflections about the issue within every culture. I must say that the following part got my blood pressure up a little lol. "I can articulate myself better than other females. But it is not because light skins don't like to trip or argue. It's because I was afforded the luxury to receive training on how to speak my mind in a rational manner.Which also makes me more self-confident." This part made me cringe a tad bit only because I know what a privilege it is to be able to communicate and express yourself in such a way that people are able to understand exactly what you are trying to get across, and not be offended; because they thought you were trying to belittle them or show off how smart you are. But as a Chocolate educated woman, I have been on the other side where no matter how much education and articulation I have, I still have to get crazy with a person because they have already made the assumption that I am beneath them based in my chocolate skin, or that I am not worth a good conversation because I am not light skinned. I also want to note that having self confidence, no matter how much or how little, does not grant you any access or privileges that have already been taken based off prefrences. I mean If a man pursues a woman primarily based on her skin color, he has also made up in his mind to undermind and dimiss another solely off her skin color as well.

    ReplyDelete